Michael E. Canning, PE
Water Optimization Team Leader and Quality Control Lead
Mike Canning has more than 23 years of experience as a manager and engineer in water and wastewater hydraulic modeling, master planning, and optimization.
Mike was Regional Manager and Senior Engineer in Optimatics’ Chicago office from 2003 to 2010. In these roles he managed water and wastewater optimization studies, provided quality control for reports and proposals, and contributed to business development.
Prior to Optimatics, Mike was Midwest District Manager for Pitometer / Severn Trent in Chicago and Service Group Manager for Pitometer’s Hydraulic Modeling Group. The first six years of his career were spent in the Philadelphia (PA) area as a project manager and planning engineer with Acer Engineers and Consultants (now ARRO Consulting).
In his role with WCS Engineering, Mike is the water optimization group manager, provides technical writing and editing expertise to ensure quality control of reports, assists with business development efforts in the US, and supports the Australia and US offices in strategic planning.
Mike also teaches Business English to international business students and provides one-to-one English acquisition and business strategy coaching to international business executives.
Selected Project Experience
- Quality assurance reviews of project reports and marketing materials
- Strategic planning assistance to WCS Engineering leaders
- Business development efforts in the US
- Bend (OR) Water Distribution Optimization Master Plan Update
- Toho Water Authority (FL) Water Distribution Optimized Master Plan
- Johnson County (KS) – wastewater optimization study (Turkey Creek Basin)
- City of Springfield (MO) – wastewater master plan optimization
- San Antonio Water System (TX) – imported water integration study
- CLCJAWA (IL) – emergency water interconnection optimization study
- City of Dayton (OH) – water master plan study
- City of Columbus (OH) – optimization study of growth area of water distribution system
- City of Fort Wayne (IN) – optimization study of two water pressure zones
- Numerous studies in US, Australia & New Zealand – provided in-house quality assurance review
- West Virginia-American Water Company – model development and calibration of 13 systems
- City of Freeport, Grand Bahamas – model development and calibration
- City of Cedar Rapids (IA) – model development, calibration, master plan
- City of Worcester (MA) – model development, calibration, CIP plan
- City of Lawrence (MA) – model development, calibration, CIP plan
- Anne Arundel County (MD) – model development and calibration for six service areas
- City of Danville (VA) – model development, calibration, master plan
- Village of Oak Brook (IL) – model development, calibration, operations problem-solving
- City of Texarkana (TX) – model development, calibration, operations problem-solving
- Water systems in PA, MD, NY – model development, calibration, master and CIP planning
- Water systems in PA, MD, NY – hydrologic, drainage, backwater profile analyses