WCS Engineering’s Exclusive Optimization Tools
WCS has developed an exclusive suite of tools to assist with optimization input, pre- and post-processing, and communicating results. These tools include:
- ICM Model Pruning Tool – This tool automatically compares a detailed ICM model with a cut-down version to identify the cut points in the model. It then automatically applies time-series boundary condition inflows based on the results of the detailed model run. The team applies a “zone of influence” assessment approach in using this tool. The team determines the extent of the model that can be pruned without impacting the model results, then prepares both the pruned and trimmed model with preliminary conveyance alternatives to minimize the zone of influence. Model run times have been reduced by over 90% by using the ICM Model Pruning Tool. Optimized solutions are always remodeled, verified, and delivered in the original detailed model.
- ICM to SWMM model conversion – While Optimizer links to both ICM and SWMM, in some cases one model version may have advantages over another. In cases where SWMM is the preferred optimization platform, the ICM model may need to be converted to SWMM. WCS has developed a suite of tools and routines to convert and validate SWMM-to-ICM conversions. Optimized solutions in SWMM are always remodeled, verified, and delivered in the original model platform. Similar conversion tools have also been developed to convert from Mike Urban to SWMM for compatibility with optimization.
- Optimizer Scripts – Optimatics software, Optimizer, allows customized scripts to be written to enhance the off-the-shelf product capabilities. The specific requirements of optimization projects often require scripting to enhance the Optimizer software features. WCS has a large library of existing scripts that can be applied or tailored to suit the requirements of a project. WCS has extensive experience developing scripts to suit the requirements of large and complex optimization projects.
- Optimizer Post-Processer (OPP) – By far the most powerful tool WCS has developed, OPP links directly to the raw output exported from the Optimizer interface and automatically processes detailed solution cost summaries, CIP reports, system performance results and geodatabase mapping links. This provides the most efficient and comprehensive QA/QC platform to review the output Optimizer produces. It also allows the Optimizer output to be viewed in a more transparent and traditional CIP format. Most importantly, OPP provides the direct link from the Optimizer output to ArcGIS mapping so that results can be viewed dynamically and in detail.
- Optimizer Mapping Platform – WCS developed the Optimizer Mapping Platform to assist in optimization tasks from initial model review through detailed solution mapping. It includes templates for existing system deficiency analyses, system improvement alternatives mapping, detailed solution summary mapping, optimization animations, and CIP prioritization mapping.
- Multi-Objective Results Analyzer (MORA) – Due to the vast number of solutions that can be produced using multi-objective optimization, WCS developed a custom tool to efficiently post-process any or all solutions produced. MORA links directly to the integer output produced by Optimizer to decode each solution and produce meaningful and detailed cost, performance, and mapping information.